The Bible Study for Revelation 7 is available online.
An outline can be downloaded here.
Bible Study Revelation 7
the sealed servants of God
After these things: see 6:17
Four angels: the four corners of the earth. Four winds: Four is number of the earth.
Earth, sea, tree: trees mentioned: usually most affected by storms.
Angel from the east: God’s glory from the east. Here: God’s seal!
Do not harm: God’s patience lasts even longer.
Living God: contrast with the dead gods: (Joshua 3:10, 2 Kings 16:4,16, Psalm 42:3, Daniel 4:34, 6:27)
Seal: see Ephesians 1:13: sealed with the Holy Spirit. New Life. See ch. 13:16. Contrast!
Those sealed: the servants of God. See 1:1 : the believers.
144,000: 12X12 : twelve tribes X 12 apostles.
1000: very large number. hard to count. Also: army unit
Numbers 1: Israel counted according to their tribes.
Who are they? Not only the Jews! From all over the earth!
- 12X12: twelve tribes, enlarged by the work of the twelve apostles.
- Jews: only from the tribe of Judah and Levi. Where are the other 10 tribes?
- Vs. 3: servants of God: they are the ones sealed. Not limited to certain groups in vs. 3.
- See vs. 9: after this things I looked. John first hears the number, then sees them.
- The tribes mentioned: not the same as in Genesis.
- See also 14:4 : These are the ones who follow the Lamb wherever He goes…
List of tribes: different from Genesis. Dan not mentioned. Joseph and Manasseh.
See Psalm 87:5-6!
After these things I looked: John now sees what he heard about in previous verses.
A great multitude which no one could number: Gen., 15:5
Response to 6:17 : Who is able to stand? Those who are sealed, and they are many!
From all nations, tribes, peoples, tongues: see 5:9 : four words: from all over the earth.
All nations: Genesis 10:32; Genesis 12:3; Daniel 3 and 4: Nebuchadnezar ‘to all peoples, nations, and languages that dwell in all the earth’.
Standing before the throne and before the Lamb: clothed with white robes. See 3:5,18, 7:14.
Palm branches: festive. Reminder of feast of booths.
Crying out with a loud voice: Languages no longer divides them. Genesis 11: tower of Babel
the Spirit (seal) unites
11 All the angels stood around the throne and the elders and the four living creatures, and fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, 12 saying:
Seven words: heavenly praise. Heaven and earth unite in the praise of God.
Forever and ever: without end, into all directions: infinity in length and width, height and depth.
Elders: those who have knowledge.
Out of the great tribulation: the great enmity of Gen. 3:15
Before the throne of God: God gathers for Himself a people to His praise: a kingdom of priests to praise Him! Temple, throne: See Exodus 19:6 : a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.
Neither hunger anymore nor thirst anymore, nor sun or heat: see time in the desert. Promised land.
Lamb as Shepherd!
Living fountains of waters: See also the palm branches in vs 9, reference to John 7:37-39: during feast of booths: the Lord Jesus spoke about the fountains of living water.
Wipe away every tear from their eyes: no suffering, no sorrow. No pain. Perfect blessedness.
- What is God’s seal in our lives? What distinguishes us from those who belong to the beast?
- What can we expect in this life now that we have the seal of God?
- Vs. 14: The Great Tribulation, the great enmity (Gen. 3:15): do you experience this life as being part of the great tribulation? If so, how?
- Vs. 16-17 : hunger, thirst, heat of the sun: are we still in the desert? (See also Hebrews 4:9-10). If so, do we look forward to entering the promised land?